JugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglineandJelliesJugglingandjellies

Friday, March 4, 2011

Completed project, new inspiration.

Ok. So I'm super excited about posting today! 

I put in a lot of work, and I'm loving the outcome.

 I started to talk a bit about what I was going to do next. About all the fantabulous crap I got from Goodwill! Let me tell you, I am one happy lady.

I have decided to switch it up, and bounce back and forth between rooms in our house a bit. I was going to do my dresser next, but when I found all this stuff I couldn't help but start on something different. 

The dining room is my latest victim. 

I have one wall covered with some black and white pictures of our family, and another wall that has an iron design piece, and a random Hobby Lobby picture on each side. There is the table that has four chairs, and a bench, and that's it. There is no color whatsoever and it's been driving me CRAZY!

When I went to Goodwill I found this great little hutch. It was in pretty bad shape, but I loved how it looked and thought it had potential.  Plus it was a steal for only $14.


I really had to work a lot on the top. To put it frankly, it was really gross. I had to scrub down and disinfect the whole thing, really getting in the grooves. Then came the sanding. Whoever had this thing destroyed the wood on the top with some liquid. I sanded like crazy. Wherever you see the lighter wood, that was totally risen up. 


I never ended up taking a picture of it just painted. The wind was whipping like crazy, and the painting process took hours because of it. In the meantime, I worked on a few other things. I had a flower pot, tea pot, ice cream dish, candy dish, and owl to take care of. I didn't end up liking how the candy dish came out, so I will have to fix it tomorrow.


With the flower pot, I took two colors that I'm using in the room, and sprayed a little paint onto my brush. I flattened pinched squeezed the bristles of my paint brush, and lightly painted some texture onto the flower pot with those colors. 

I then painted the tea pot!


I am absolutely in love with this little tea pot. Miss El picked it out. I am not a fan of its paint job, but I love its cute shape. Plus it was also only $1.99! 

Then I moved on to the owl and ice cream dish, and I like how they both turned out as well. 

That candy dish was driving me crazy though, so I will deal with it tomorrow. 

Once I finished all of those, and the hutch was all dry, I got to glazing. With all the sanding that I did, and all the grooves I knew that the glaze was going to really stand out, and give it a more weathered feel to it. 

So before I do my big reveal, I want to share how cheap all this awesomeness was, because personally it makes my day! 

Hutch.... $14

Tea pot.... $1.99

Ice cream dish....$.99

Owl.... free! I had it, it just needed a makeover. 

Spray paint....$6

Flower pot...$6

Snake plant....$7

Total.... $35.98

Ok, now keep in mind, this area isn't finished. There's only so much I can do in a day. It has definitely inspired the rest of the dining room though. I have big plans for that room now! I can't wait to get started. I am also thinking of adding little details, like some sort of design to the tea pot and maybe the ice cream dish. What I love the most about doing all of this is when my man walks in the door, sees something I made, smiles, and his first words are "I really like this one, I think it's my favorite so far." Personally, it's not my favorite piece, but I do really like it. His favorite aspect of it is how weathered looking it came out, because "it gives it a beachy feel". So here it is...here is the start to my awesome dining room.




I actually think we are going to be storing our dog's food and water bowl in there. Right now they just sit in the corner of the dining room and I can't stand it. This way it will be totally out of the way, and she can still get to it. 

I'm really excited to get things going in this room. Like I said though, I know I will be mixing up projects and jumping between rooms. I still have a good amount of tidying from our trip to Florida as well. Primarily, laundry. Which is like my absolute enemy, so I have been putting it off a bit. 

Well that's it for today. My stress level is somewhat high right now, due to two little ladies who refuse to go to sleep. It was like one of those days where they should have had a wicked long nap, and tried to start the day over. Cranky, whiny kids = stressed mommy! 

Through all the whining though, I feel I accomplished a good amount! I haven't decided yet what I will be working on, so you will just have to check back here and find out! Night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment