JugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglineandJelliesJugglingandjellies

Monday, March 14, 2011

Dining Room Awesomeness

I've been working pretty hard on my project but it's just not coming along as fast as I want it too. Which is normal for me with projects so I dont know why I would think I could do everything on it without updating at all. I wouldn't be blogging for a long time if I did that. So I am done with my blogging hiatus. 

The project I have been working on is my whole dining room! 

Yes, the whole thing. 

Once again, I never took a before picture of the whole dining room, because I was expecting to go project to project. Also, like I've said before, the fact that there was absolutely no color in this room drove me crazy. 

I first started with the little hutch I got and posted up a while ago. Then once that was done I moved onto my dining room table. We have had our table since we got married, and it's in pretty great condition. It's a beautiful wood, but I don't work well with things that aren't colorful! 

I decided to just start with the legs. My strongbad husband flipped the table for me, and I took off the legs. I was torn as to if I wanted to paint the top and little ledge thing on the table as well, but I will talk about that later. 


I decided to go with aqua for the legs. The same color I used on the hutch. I don't know if I would classify it as aqua, I think its more of like a robin's eggs blue, but I still like it. So I sprayed a few coats onto the legs.


Once they were dry, I went ahead and glazed them all. I really REALLY like how the glaze pops on the light color paints. It added so much texture and definition to the legs. After they dried, I assembled it all back together. Now that sounds like it was all really simple to do but it wasnt, I am a stickler for details, so the glaze had to be the exact way I wanted it (on all four separate legs). It took hours and hours. I have stated before that I am very impatient, and I didn't end up finishing this until crazy late one night, so my man was sleeping. I magically, yes magically, flipped the table to stand up tall, then slowly leaned it down onto my back.  Then I went up on my toes as high as I could so I wouldn't snap the legs off! I then very very slowly bent down at a 90 degree angle so it was totally on top of me. Then I crab walked to where it needed to be, and slowly lowered it. Craziness!


Sorry it's not the greatest picture. I'll get to that later. You can also see the little ledge that I was talking about too. I went back and forth a lot with 'do I paint it, or not'. Since I couldn't decide on that right away I went to the bench. I love this little bench, not only because it's cute, but it adds more seating at the table. So once again, flipped it and took the legs off. Then I went ahead and painted them. It was the exact same process for the legs on the bench, that I did for the table. Obviously.


There is such a difference with the glaze. Here is where I started to glaze one of the legs.


After everything was dried and done, and put together, I took a step back and realized I really like the wood on top, and I'm not going to mess with it. The legs just give the whole thing a little extra awesomeness.

So here it is, everything I have done so far in the room.



I have also done some random little projects, that I have added, and am continuing to add to the room. You can see that my dog Roxy, now has a bright orange bowl in the left corner of the room. Eventually in that corner, I am going to add a tree. I also found the cutest little tea set, so I had to add some of that. The other pieces that I havent used in the room yet, will be used later for another project for the room. How cute are these tea cups though!


You can't tell in the pictures, but there is a door on the right side of the room, which holds the air system whatnot. Its very white around that area, so clearly it needed something. I found a frame that I have had for year, thats been sitting around, and decided to fix it up. Once it's all finished it will go above the door.


I went with the orange for this as well. I was torn as to weather or not I should do the glaze. I decided I needed to, because there is so much detail around the edge, that if it was a flat orange you wouldn't notice. This isn't a great picture, and the glass is still messy. Sorry. I'm still deciding what I want to go in here. I have a feeling I am going to end up painting something! 


Other than all of this, life is going great. My man and I are now 5-6 year old soccer coaches, so we have been trying to figure out all that awesomeness. I have a feeling I will end up doing a project or two for the kids on the soccer teams. We have been busy though, with that, cleaning like CRAZY, doctors appointments, and on and on and on. So yea, sorry about my little hiatus, but I've been busy, and then it would get crazy late, and I would sit down finally and want to scream. Blogging is something I've really been enjoying, and I wont let it become a chore. So on the nights that the kids wont sleep, or I really want to spend some time with my man, or I literally cant keep my eyes open any longer to type, I'm not going to feel bad. I set out on this fun little blogging adventure to see where I would be in a year, and I am learning new things everyday. The newest thing I have learned is that I'm not going to feel horrible if I miss a blog here or there, because if it does become a chore, I will just stop. So here's to more fun projects, and hopefully soon I finish my new layout. The house is quiet, and I am officially done for the day, so it is time for me to pass out! Goodnight blogland!

No comments:

Post a Comment