JugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglineandJelliesJugglingandjellies

Monday, January 17, 2011

And So It Begins.....

I feel like today was extremely productive. We all woke up and cleaned the house. Spent forever in the little ladies room, cleaning up every, little, tiny toy that a child could possibly own. Then we moved onto laundry, washed, dried, and folded four loads. Then the ladies got a bath while I showered, and our day really began. I had to take my big monster to speech therapy, and we decided to just go the two of us. That way we could go get our shopping done for our wall project. In being the extremely indecisive person that I am, my husband doesn't really enjoy shopping with me, because I can never make up my mind. He stayed home with the little monster so I wouldn't have to keep worrying about what she was doing, while I was trying to get everything done.

After speech therapy, my big monster and I went off to Lowes to find what we needed! I needed a staple gun, picture hangers, and wood! I wasn't quite sure what I was doing at first when it came time to pick out the wood. At first I wanted something nice, but I figured plywood would work perfectly fine, since it's just a back support. I had an awesome guy come help me out. We talked about art for a while, with a little bit about zombies mixed into the conversation. I asked him how much it would be since I was cutting a bunch of little squares and I knew they charged by the square. This guy was great, he decided he wouldn't charge me for his cuts, because I was his first customer to ever ask for wood not so that I could build something, but so I could make an art project out of it. I think I thanked him a million times over, but I promised to bring him a picture to show him how it all came out. Here he is cutting out smallest squares.


My monster thought it was the coolest thing, but the saw killed her ears. He let her wear his earmuffs. That way I wouldn't have to continuously cover her ears with every cut. After we got all the wood done, we went to grab the fabric we wanted, and some polyester filling. 

After dinner we got started right away. I promised the girls we would make a couple tonight before bed. From start to finish, it's actually as easy as I thought it would be. I have sixteen boards, eight different materials, and half will be filled with the filling to add some dimension. All you have to do is tightly fold the paper around and staple, for the flat ones. Also in the following picture you can see four oval cuts of wood. Tomorrow after finishing all the squares, we are going to work on profile silhouettes for each one of us, then Modge Podge them on. So we will have twenty pieces in all on the wall.


In making the filled ones, you need to make sure to measure how much you will use and spread it across the board before you staple anything. If you staple first it can be hard to get your hand in, or have it all lined up the way you want. I really like how the stuffed ones came out.


These are the first two that we made together. The girls had a blast helping me measure, holding down material, and playing with the filling. I think that came out pretty good for a first try.



We were having so much fun doing it, we decided we would make a few more before it was time for bed. I can't wait until they are all done, and sitting across from my bright red couch. I think it's going to look pretty awesome. 



After being at Lowes today, seeing all the paint, and tools, I cant wait to get a big tool box filled with stuff for projects. Once this is done we will be starting right away on the coffee table! I am getting antsy and so excited to keep working on a bunch of different projects around the house! I also love that my little ladies are just as excited to do it with me. I think they love to see a bunch of random pieces of things be put together, with help from eachother, and have it made into something beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment