JugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglineandJelliesJugglingandjellies

Monday, January 10, 2011

Feedback & Ideas....

If you read my post yesterday you know it is about me going crazy over the dead space in my living room, trying to brainstorm, and coming up with what I think is an awesome idea. I got some feedback from a few people, saying they really liked the idea, but they wanted more ideas, something they could do too. My younger sister is moving into a new apartment this weekend. She has a lot of 'stuff' to fill the place but she needs something to go over her bed. I like to think that she got the brains and I got the creativity. If you ask her, I guarantee she would agree. So she asked if I could help her think of something. I asked her what she is thinking of, and she didn't really know. Well, I needed to know if I was just googling things she could buy to put over her bed, or coming up with a fun idea that she could do herself. To my surprise, she chose something that she can do. Which I am very excited about. Although, it needs to be something fairly simple, and easy to do, whereas she is a college student, and is running in fifty million directions, on top of moving to a new school and into a new apartment. Instantly, I had two ideas that I knew she might like. The first choice is pretty simple, and definitely cost efficient. It was actually something I was debating on doing before we got our beautiful sleigh bed. I am beyond inspired by Squint Limited. Their work blows my mind. Yesterday when I was talking about later doing a project concerning my couch, this is where I got the inspiration from! But that is for a different day. Although, here is a quick look at one of my favorite pieces of theirs. My husband would never want that much hot pink in our living room though.



You can't tell me that that's not absolutely gorgeous! Before we had a bed though, I was trying to come up with different ideas for a diy headboard. I was looking on their site, and absolutely loved their headboards. I think the complementing and contrasting patterns are awesome. Here is one of their headboards that I am in love with, and where my idea started to take off from...



Now, most unfortunately I have no idea how to sew. So I tried to come up with some kind of concept that involved using different materials, some that complimented each other, and the room. In my sisters case, her baby blue duvet cover. Then certain contrasting colors that just made the piece pop! So I started to search. I found a diy headboard idea, and it was kind of the theme I was going for. 


In my sisters case I think she should stick to more muted tones, like grayish blue, but several different hues of blue, and some with slight patterns. Then she needs to look around at what she has that is going to accent the room, and contrast with the blue. Personally, I think some bright colors, like purple, yellow, or pink. Still, this project has to be done fast, and has to be fairly easy. I don't know how it was made, or what steps were taken to make the headboard in the picture. That is clearly why it is simply inspiration. I came up with an idea that she thinks she will be able to do. First off, go to a local fabric store. Ask them to show you where the scrap fabric is, this way it will probably more inexpensive since they are probably just trying to get rid of most of it. Pick out several different styles that you like. The more the better! Next go to a place like Lowe's, Home Depot, or you can even do it yourself. You are going to need several pieces of wood! You can either do it, in squares where they are all the same height, and width, or you can get several different sizes to mix it up even more. Then you're going to need a staple gun, hammer, and some frame hangers. Like this kind....


That is pretty much all you need for this project! When you have everything. Lay a piece of material down, then place the wood on top of it. Fold the material over the side facing up and staple it secure. You're obviously going to want to do this to all four sides. The things you want to make sure to remember are, the material needs to be stretched tight on each side before you staple, or else you will either have loose of buckled material. Also, to make sure the corners are cleanly folded, what my mom likes to call 'hospital corners'. If there is any excess material after stapling, simply just cut it off. Next you want to nail the little frame hangers into the back of the wood. Once thats done, all you have to do is hang them up. Obviously, it's up to you how many squares you will need, or what you think will look good. Like I said before, if you want to go for something a little more funky, mix up the sizes of the squares, and rearrange them like a puzzle on the wall to your liking. I hope my sister will stick with this idea, since I didn't. I was wondering what it would have come out like. Maybe I will have to find a different spot in my apartment and just do it anyway, because the more I think about it, the more I like it. If she does, or if I do, I will absolutely be posting up some pictures, to show everyone how it turned out. I still have a few other way ideas for naked walls, but I really wanted to share this one. Maybe tomorrow I'll share another awesome, inexpensive, and yet eye popping idea! Until then....




No comments:

Post a Comment