JugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglineandJelliesJugglingandjellies

Friday, January 28, 2011

Awesomeness Continued...

Today was day two of really working hard on some of our living room furniture. To be honest, I will definitely be taking a big project break for a couple days. I think it's funny that my right arm is hurting from sanding, painting, and glazing so much. 

I have already explained that I was really excited to work on this table. The design is so beautiful, and elegant, but it wasn't in the best shape. It has some scratches, the door didn't work, the material on the inside was in pretty bad shape, and it was pretty dirty. It didn't matter though, I could still see that she had potential to be gorgeous. Yes, she. My man is making fun of me for it, but the table is definitely a she. This is what she looked like before I started.


The very first thing I did was wipe it all down, making sure nothing was on the wood. Then I got right into taping the glass. There are five sides to the glass, and let me tell you, it wasn't super fun taping, especially the inside. The whole process took me well over an hour. I wanted to make sure it was perfectly lined up, so it definitely took me a little longer.




I got right into spray painting.


I love the detail of her.



While the paint was drying, I painted the knob for the door silver.



Next, I worked on the glazing technique. I love how it made the designs pop.


Once everything was painted, I took off the tape. Now at this point I was all excited to see how it would look, but I realized that I had forgotten to tape the inner glass, on the top. Major fail. I was so nervous that I had ruined it. After trying a few different things I noticed that a magic eraser would soften it, and a spackle scraper would scrape it all off. I love when I create more work for myself, she had to be perfect though.

Once everything was scraped off, it was time to clean off the crazy messy windows. The little ladies really wanted to help me with this part. I love having little helpers.


Since that was sitting and drying, I figured I would work on the wooden piece that fit on the inside. Here is what it looked like originally, covered in a brown, velvet material.


Since I have become a master at stapling material onto to square pieces of wood, it only seemed fitting to have to do that to this too. My man liked the black and white polka dotted material, so that's what I went with. Here she is, all finished. I am completely in love.


I absolutely love the color, and the details.


I love being able to take something that has great meaning, that may not be in the greatest of shape and fix it up. This is definitely something I will be holding onto, and would love to pass down to my babies to someday. Simply gorgeous.







No comments:

Post a Comment