JugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglineandJelliesJugglingandjellies

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Weird and Obscure....

The little ladies and I have been going through some of my art magazines today before playing with mass amounts of playdough. I saw a new painting from one of my favorite artists. It got me thinking, and I wanted to share how much I absolutely love counter culture or underground art. I admire the unbelievable imaginations of so many crazy artists. I have always been slightly weird myself, and therefore appreciate everything that is also weird and obscure. The main artist that really got me into, loving, and appreciating this type of art is Kathie Olivas. I found out about her while working on a project in design school. Her collection of work is called Misery Children. Her paintings sort of resemble vintage, close ups of kids. Only her works depict these children in a post apocalyptic era. For those of you who really know me, know that I have a slight obsession with zombies, and apocalyptic concepts. So if you take that, mix it with kidddos (which I also absolutely love), throw in a little candy, and maybe some tentacles, and in my eyes you have a masterpiece. This was and has always been one of my favorite pieces from her collection....

Rapture


Another piece of hers that I absolutely love is The Provocateurs, it's an earlier piece of hers, but amazing all the same. I used to have a 'skin' of it on my old MacBook Pro. It always reminded me of my little family. 

The Provocateurs


Once I started looking around it seemed as though this awesome counter culture art was everywhere, you just had to know where to look for it. My absolute favorite magazines are Hi-Fructose and Juxtapoz! They feature so many amazing artists.  It's also an awesome go-to for some great inspiration. Well, I have to run for now, but I wanted to share where my love for obscure art has stemmed from.




No comments:

Post a Comment