JugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglineandJelliesJugglingandjellies

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Masters of Horror....

I really feel like I have narcolepsy today. I think my children do too. It's weird all three of us have been randomly passing out today. None of us got much sleep last night, at all. So we decided we would set up a fort bed in the living room and have a movie day. Like I said though, we all kept falling asleep. Both girls even went to sleep right away at bed time, which is very unusual. I fell asleep with them around 8:30, unintentionally, and when I woke up at 11 I was confused as to how we were all asleep! My whole life I have had sleep issues, my parents have been telling me for years I should see someone for it. I remember being a little girl, and waiting until they would fall asleep so I could sneak around my room and play with toys and read books until it was really early in the morning. It's just the norm for me, and always has been. Another key factor in my messed up sleep habits are nightmares. As far back as I can remember I have always had incredibly horrific, and vivid dreams. I always joke with my husband that 'the line between reality and my imagination is so thin that it scares me.' To this day there are nights when he has to shake me to wake me up, because I will be screaming or hysterically crying in my sleep, and when I do wake up, it takes a while to shake off everything that my head conjured up. So with today being a day that we have all randomly passed out several times, I have had several nightmares. I try not to think about them, and to put them in the back of my mind, because they feel real, and they terrify me. Once again though, for me, it's the norm. In saying all of that, there is a photographer who I feel is the absolute master is horror photography. His name is Josh Hoffine, and he is amazing. I feel like he was able to jump into my brain while I was sleeping, and just snapped a picture of what was going on. It's crazy. Here are a few examples of his work. 








Anyone who really knows me, knows that clowns creep me out beyond belief. In other words that last picture is mildly terrifying to me. I think his work is amazing, because everything he does is done with props, and what he has to make a scene. He never uses photoshop to add things in that aren't there. He will occasionally use it to splice an image or two that he has if he can't put everything into the scene. Secretly, I feel that with the right tools, I could do a pretty good job at something like this. I clearly have all the really messed up concepts in my head! Another master of horror, who people don't really consider him as that, that I love, is Walt Disney. Now I'm sure while reading this you may be thinking, "What are you talking about?" But he really is. Walt Disney had a love for the macabre. Most people don't realize that he was a pioneer in the American Horror genre. He was virtually the only animator of his era that made horror cartoons. His first Silly Symphony cartoon made in 1929, was The Skeleton Dance. Later in 2005 they used these dances in Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride.












Then in 1933, five years after Mickey made his debut, Walt Disney released Mad Doctor. For true Disney fans, who don't agree with what I'm talking about, you have to check out this video. It's nothing like the sweet, happy-go-lucky Tinkerbell movies my girls watch now. 







I like the Mad Doctor film, especially in relating to this post, I can relate to how Mickey feels. I really just wanted to share two of my favorite Masters of Horror. Now it's time for me to log off and go back to sleep, and see what is in store for me tonight. 




No comments:

Post a Comment