JugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglineandJelliesJugglingandjellies

Sunday, January 16, 2011

House of a Different Color...

Today was another miserable rainy day. We weren't able to get anything done for my 'new' living room. There was no way I was going to pick up a new couch in a downpour. It's also been somewhat of a pain because there is absolutely no way a full sized couch could fit into our van. So it means either having to rely on a friend, or nothing. I was so relieve when the woman I am buying it from offered to drive almost two hours round trip to bring it to us. I can't wait to get it. Anyone that knows me knows I am a big fan of color, especially bright colors (hence a bright purple jellyfish on my arm). So I love the fact that the couch is a rich, bright red. I have never been a fan of the burgundy 'red' color of couches. Sitting now, looking around my living room, my brain is going crazy with ideas, of what to do to this room. Last night I was racking my brain. I couldn't think of what to do with my pillows. We have four slate-blueish couch pillows, that are in perfectly ok condition, but over the years of having them (and children) they aren't as lively as they used to be.


My first thought was to search online, for four new cheap, but nice ones that would compliment the red, black, and white color scheme. Like I have said before, I hate to get rid of something if it can be fixed up, revamped, and reused. So magically it hit me this morning. I know exactly what I can do with them. I don't know how I remembered it, or what made me think of it, but it's perfect. A few years ago, my younger brother 'Bobby' had me do a little project with him. He is a big lacrosse player and he wanted to fix up the head of the stick. I don't know where he came up with the idea, or if he got it from someone else, but he used Rit dye, and made it his own. I figured if it can work on something like that, it has to be able to work on some pillows. So tomorrow when I go out to pick up the fabric for the wall, I am grabbing some of this dye. I'm thinking I'm going to have to stick to black. My husband and I thought it would be a fun idea, if we each picked a pillow, and thought of a design. We are going to get some dark fabric iron ons, and put our design (in white) onto each pillow. He is going with a stegosaurus, but the little ladies and I have decided what we want yet. 

The Rit website is something everyone should check out. It has so many awesome ideas. I didn't realize you could do so many things with it. I want there to be so much color in my house it's ridiculous.  This is going to be a Godsend to me. What I loved most, and something that I am absolutely going to have to try, is using the dye as a stain on woods. Yesterday, I talked about how I wanted to paint a few pieces of furniture that I have, well I think I may have to do this instead. I love the fact that it is just a really bright beautiful stain, and you can see the wood grains perfectly. Look at how beautiful these are, I can definitely see myself having pieces like this in my house...





No comments:

Post a Comment