JugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglingandJelliesJugglineandJelliesJugglingandjellies

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Oh the Grossness....

Today for some reason I was wide awake early, and ready to get started on my next project, even though I had wanted to wait a few days, and maybe tackle my closet first. I decided to get some opinions from friends on facebook, as to what color I should paint my desk. Ultimately, it came down to a golden yellow. Holding up some yellow in front of the other colors in the room didn't look too bad so I figured I would go for it.

The little ladies and I took off for Home Depot, which is becoming like a second home now. I was very weary of getting the yellow when I was there. I don't mind small accents of yellow, but I am not the biggest fan of the color, especially as a focal point if mixed in with other colors. I took a leap of faith, and got it anyway.

I got started right away. This desk is so heavy, it's my first project where my man has to move it around for me. The top isn't too bad but the bottom is just solid. I really love this desk, my parents bought it for me when I was about five, and it has gone through most of my little siblings. It even has our names written in the drawer. It has some dents and scrapes on it, that not only adds character but all have stories behind them. One big scrape down it is from my little brother going at it with a screw driver. These pieces obviously stack on top of each other, but here are the before pictures.



Since I wasn't sure if I would like the yellow or not, I decided just to try it out on the top. It took more paint then my two purple tables combined, and still wasn't completely covered nicely. It started to get too dark out so I figured I would let it dry then bring it inside to see how it looked! I was excited, but slightly nervous since I wasn't really feeling it outside. Be prepared, because here it is.


All I can say to that is, GROSS! It reminds me of like a Fisher Price yellow, and even more so with the red couch. Being that bright, it was way too much of a focal point, which is not what I wanted for this room. I want my gorgeous couch the focal point. Immediately, upon seeing its grossness, I grabbed my last can of purple and went crazy. I couldn't stand to look at it anymore. I was able to get most of one coat on but couldn't finish one of the sides. So here it is, keep in mind, the purple isn't finished, let alone any glazing. I am going to do a lot more of the glazing on this than I did on the tables, because I don't want it crazy bright purple. The glaze will dull the color, add some black to it, and I am going to give it a lot more texture.


At least now, the color ties into the room. I literally couldn't work on this anymore, between a headache from inhaling so much paint, and not having any more purple. So I decided to move onto the next project!

The ladies and I finally went out and got our little sticks for the frame. I ended up putting a light coat of the purple on them, just to darken them up, and obviously to go with the room. I love it. It might not be everyone else' cup of tea, but I think it looks great with everything else in the room!



There you have it readers. That's it for today. I wish Home Depot was open 24 hours, but unfortunately it's not. I officially understand why growing up my mom always complained about there not being enough hours in a day for her to accomplish everything she wanted to. I can't wait to wake up, and head off to my 'second home' to get more paint, and keep working. Hopefully, tomorrow I will have all this finished! 


No comments:

Post a Comment